Saturday 16 August 2008

Up To My Neck in You

Today I'm commemorating it being exactly 365 days since I last fell out of love. The past year has been a mess of scattershot memories, utter tedium, hearts that hate, splendid isolation and fear and loathing in Mahwah, NJ. Pretty much all of it has been soundtracked by Mark Kozelek for want of anything more cheerful. Here are some highlights.


Mistress (Piano Version) (Red House Painters)
I need someone much more mysterious
June 2006, August 2007
Red House Painters I
And so it goes...



New Jersey (Red House Painters)
You're not as good as your mum but you're as good as dead
September
Red House Painters I

Moss Bross Staff Room




Have You Forgotten? (New Version) (Red House Painters)
When we were kids, we hated things our parents did
October
Vanilla Sky OST
I shouldn't have bothered.



Take Me Out (Red House Painters)
If only you could take me out, instead of back in to a relationship I don't understand
November
Red House Painters I
No Use For Old Friends, closing number.




Carry Me Ohio (Sun Kil Moon)
Sorry for never going by your door
November
Ghosts of the Great Highway
Early mornings, familiar roads.




Gentle Moon ( Sun Kil Moon)
But if love was like stone / then yours was mine through to my bones
December
Ghosts of the Great Highway
Juke box.




Glenn Tipton (Sun Kil Moon)
I buried my first victim when I was 19
December
Ghosts of the Great Highway
Stephanie




Up To My Neck In You (Mark Kozelek)
Up to my neck in misery for most of my life / I've been a fool...
January
What's Next to the Moon
Cineworld unlimited card, building sites and cranes




Bad Boy Boogie (Mark Kozelek)
On the day I was born, the rain came down
January
What's Next to the Moon
Manchester




Down Colorful Hill (Red House Painters)
Prayers prayers prayers for success
January
Down Colorful Hill
Manchester Zodiac



Lights of Magdala (Mark Kozelek and Hannah Marcus)
If heaven were a lady, don't you know you'd been the one
February
Don't Let the Bastards Get You Down: A Tribute to Kris Kristofferson
In a park by a lake, a camera



Shadows (Red House Painters)
You ain't saying nothing, that I don't already know
February
Ocean Beach
Everywhere everywhere everywhere everywhere




Cruiser (Mark Kozelek)
Slipping letters under my door / candy wrappers round my floor
February
Little Drummer Boy
Shopping for oranges




Follow You, Follow Me (Red House Painters)
Just one single tear in each passing year
March
Shanti Project
Genesis!



Tonight The Sky (Sun Kil Moon)
She fell into his sweet strong kiss / she made her perfect gardens in this?
March
April
Hello excited stranger, I'm yet to receive my copy of April in the mail.




Michigan / Fly Away (Red House Painters)
I don't need a purpose to plan within / I just need to feel your pulse again
Live Track, The Blind Pig, Ann Arbor 2001)

March
All of her dreams have gone soft and cloudy, all of her dreams have gone dry.


Lost Verses (Sun Kil Moon)
I came up from the ocean / evaporates sea salt water / a mist above the skyling / I haunt the streets of San Francisco
April
April
Dinnertime and the train home.


Katy Song (Red House Painters)
I know tomorrow you will be somewhere in London / Living with someone
June
Red House Painters I
As covered on youtube.



Void (Red House Painters)
And I know that I have picked the most perfect sunflower yet
July
Old Ramon
For windows.

No comments: